02 November 2005

Zuidas - Amsterdam

This is the Master Plan I mean Master Model of Amsterdam's new Business District - called "Zuidas" (which means South Axis).


I am quiet disappointed with the master plan of this district since it's completely Market-driven (sort of like all the stuff we see back in Bombay or in most of the world), now I know I shouldn't expect anything more from these guys.
The only difference I would say is the Aesthetics of the buildings but nothing new or good with the overall planning strategies.
Check these websites for more -
http://www.mahler4.nl/
http://www.zuidas.nl/smartsite.dws?id=3

This building is designed by Rafael Vinoly Architects.

But sadly the most interesting element of the design the external fire escape staircase has not been recognized by the fire-fighting department as a valid escape route and is now only an ornament.

No comments:

A Google map tracing my travels across the globe


View Larger Map
  • In Red cities where I have lived (more than one month);
  • In Blue cities that I have visited