27 February 2011

Weekend in and around Delhi - 02/03

The Taj Mahal is a very difficult building to write about, it comes with too much baggage so I'll let my photos do the talking.



 










 

Here's some photos of the mosque adjoining the Taj


 



 



... and a couple of the amazing for garden ... (next time I'd like to visit the garden on the other side of the river)..


Our next stop was the spectacular Itmad-ud-Daulah's tomb. I've been wanting to see this building for years now and finally I made it here!

 

Here's a few photos of the most underrated Mughal wonder.

  
No visit to the Taj Mahal or for that matter to Agra is complete without seeing this jewel box like building.


Once you visit this tiny yet amazing building it's quiet obvious that Shah Jahan would never have been able to commission the Taj if this he had not seen this tomb.







 





  
On our way out of the city we halted at Akbar's tomb in the outskirts of Agra.
 



The tomb sits majestically in a huge garden full of Black Bucks




.... the exterior is quite intact ....

  


....but the interior plaster and paint work has sadly been lost due to years of neglect....



It would be amazing to see these gardens also restored properly like at Humayun's tomb.

 

No comments:

A Google map tracing my travels across the globe


View Larger Map
  • In Red cities where I have lived (more than one month);
  • In Blue cities that I have visited