15 April 2009

Adeus Portugal...

So Finally I have everything sorted out and I’ll be leaving Portugal today. This was a great trip!.. The people… the food .. the music and yes the architecture has all been beyond everything I expected. Hopefully I’ll be back soon for more of this beautiful country!

I will end by series of Portugal posts with a few images from the famous Casa Pasteis de Belém in Belém. I know it’s probably the most cliché thing to do when you visit Belém – but it surely isn’t soo popular for nothing!

Casa Pastéis de Belém was the first place outside the convent selling the famous creamy custard tart known generally as Pastel de Nata. Here they are called Pastéis de Belém, after the name of the area. It is believed that it was created before the 18th century by Catholic Monks at the Jerónimos Monastery.

Since 1837, locals have gone there to get them warm out of the oven and sprinkled with the cinnamon and powdered sugar. These are very popular and sometimes tourists have to wait for hours for them. The first time I walked past the café there was a really long line streching out on the sidewalk outside, but when I eventually went late in the evening I could straightway walk in.
Muito obrigado Portugal!!!

No comments:

A Google map tracing my travels across the globe


View Larger Map
  • In Red cities where I have lived (more than one month);
  • In Blue cities that I have visited