29 June 2008

Day out at Wimbledon

Spend a day watching some great tennis and waiting in never-ending lines : )

The day started early - was already at the wimbledon car park #10 where the loooong queue for the day ground tickets was snaking around - at 7:00 in the morning.

When I got my queue ticket it was close to 8:00 and I was # 2800 something.

And after some five hours of waiting I was finally in and what can I say it was great to be there!
Spend the first few hours walking around the grounds peeping into the free courts (which is all the courts expect the two big ones - centre and first) and soaking some great festive atmosphere and finally some sun!!


While watching some random matches all over the grounds I went to have look at only Indian female to play at this level of the game - Sania Mirza - she was playing doubles and together with her partner put up a good fight and won quiet convincingly.

This is Henman Hill where people were just glowing in the sun and watching some great games on the big screen. Meanwhile I sat in yet another never ending line to buy second hand tickets to watch at least one of the big games of the day being played on Centre court.
While waiting in this line for another couple of hours I took short break from the line and watched some more tennis in a near by court.

But finally I got my ticket and ran to the centre court to watch the most awaited game of the day!

It was none other than the Spanish hero Rafael Nadal. And boy did he play hard. Over 7 hours of queuing was made well worth it.

Even though I'm a greater fan of Roger Federer's graceful game, today Rafa played like this championship was always meant to be his!

What a great day!! And thank god for the beautiful weather!!

2 comments:

aishamomin said...

hey sahil ..that was great effort!!

aishamomin said...

i.e the big line

A Google map tracing my travels across the globe


View Larger Map
  • In Red cities where I have lived (more than one month);
  • In Blue cities that I have visited