04 August 2008

I like my buildings : Modern

Even though London's authorities / media and in some case people have in recent years declared war against Modern architecture the city still houses an array of great Modern works designed by the likes of Wells Coates, Berthold Lubetkin, Denys Lasdun, the Smithsons and of course Erno Goldfinger (to name a few of the important ones).

And being a true architect I really love the work of Goldfinger, it has a lot of character and charm. Most poeople call his work 'Brutal' I call it 'Powerful'.

Here's a few photos of two of his buildings in the city.

The first five snaps are of the Trellick Tower high-rise housing on Edenham Street, west London, build between 1967-1973






And the rest of snaps are of his Elephant & Castle development scheme, south London, build between 1959-1966




I hope to visit his project for 1-3 Willow Road in Hampstead, North London where is lived for many years soon! Will post images of it if I ever get there : )

Also need to visit at least some of Lubtekin's buildings.

No comments:

A Google map tracing my travels across the globe


View Larger Map
  • In Red cities where I have lived (more than one month);
  • In Blue cities that I have visited