02 July 2006

London

Yet another quick trip to London to catch up with Friends and Family.

Along with Pragya went to see an exhibition on Che Guevara titled – “Che Guevara:
Revolutionary & Icon”
at the Victoria and Albert Museum. Though it was a good collection of Products/Ads with Che in them I felt the exhibition could have been presented differently from the clichéd way in which we know of him.


Later that day while searching for a nice place to have dinner we* stumbled on this small housing colony very close to Covent Garden. Though bang in the centre of London once inside the Colony you were completely taken away from the noise and mess of the huge city around.


(Interesting the above project also reminded me a lot of my Aunt’s colony in Delhi designed by one the star Indian Architect of Post-Independent India – Raj Rewal. I had posted a snap from here earlier on this blog. Click HERE to see that entry.)
(* - Avani, Neha, Pragya and myself)

The great thing about be able to revisit big cities like London, Paris and Mumbai is the exhibitions that one can see there. And this time was no different so after the ‘Che’ exhibition at V and A, I managed to take a quick look at a very interesting exhibition on Architecture titled – Future City – at the Barbican Centre. The Barbican Centre itself is worth a trip by itself but the exhibition had an amazing collection of Architectural Projects and Utopias from over the years from all over the world. Indeed a very interesting exhibition (though they could have used a bigger space for such a large collection)


(Read more about this exhibition on the official gallery website – HERE, or you can download a brochure of the exhibition HERE it shows all the architecture movements covered in it)


And sort of the highlight of the trip – Wimbledon.

Wow, it was great to be able to see the real thing. Thanks to some great planning by ex-Wimbledon employee Amrita Ravimohan we had a great day at the All England Lawn Tennis Club and got to see some big stars play and that to for what I thought was a steal of a price. (Way to go girl !!)


And what was better was that my sister who had just flown in from Dubai the previous night was able to join us.

Here are some pictures that look like stuff you seen on your TV screens a lot of times (but what the hell I want to share my pics). And look who’s in the red box our very own Indian superstar – Sania Mirza – We love you Saniaaaaa…!!! (Check my old blog entry on Sania)

But like I said early the reason for this trip was to meet up with Friends and Family – In fact a new member of the Family – Fahad - my Nephew. Check out a few pics of him. I really hope that I can visit him quiet often, good thing I’m not too far from here.

No comments:

A Google map tracing my travels across the globe


View Larger Map
  • In Red cities where I have lived (more than one month);
  • In Blue cities that I have visited